[asterisk-users] Cause and cure for "Exceptionally long voice queue length queuing to Local"?

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Thu May 20 18:19:39 CDT 2010

David Cunningham wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We're seeing lots of warnings like the following, running Asterisk
> 1.6.1.12. Does anyone know the cause or cure?
>
> One explanation I've come across is that the peer is congested and
> sending RTCP messages asking us to slow the RTP down. Is there any way
> we can verify this?
>
> [May 17 13:42:45] WARNING[27482] channel.c: Exceptionally long voice
> queue length queuing to Local/12126412121 at asterisk-phone-7e3d;1
>
> Thanks in advance!

Try upgrading to 1.6.1.13. You're using a version of Asterisk from early
December 2009. Doing a search for closed issues on the Asterisk issue tracker at
https://issues.asterisk.org caused me to find bug 15609
(https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=15609) which was committed on December
30, 2009.

On January 11, 2010, Asterisk version 1.6.1.13-rc1 was created which contains
the commit from December 30, 2009, and was subsequently released as 1.6.1.13 on
January 15, 2010.

The ChangeLog showing the commit is here:

http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/releases/ChangeLog-1.6.1.13

The release is available here:

http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/releases/

Leif.