[asterisk-users] IAX2 - providers discontinuing support

Zeeshan Zakaria zishanov at gmail.com
Wed May 12 17:44:05 CDT 2010

SIP is just more supported so its easier for the providers to deal with it.
I personally also believe that IAX is not supported by big providers because
if they do so, it'll just make asterisk more famous than they want it to be.
Secondly, as IAX name suggests, it was primarily designed for trunking
between asterisk servers, and it does it with less headaches than SIP, given
that your provider supports it well.

Zeeshan A Zakaria

--
Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail.

On 2010-05-12 5:12 PM, "Joe Greco" <jgreco at ns.sol.net> wrote:

> What is wrong with IAX2 protocol?
> If IAX2 is so much better than SIP so why providers discontinu...
The same thing that's wrong with a lot of theoretically superior
technologies: SIP is *more* universal, and therefore if it's a choice
of supporting two technologies or just one, SIP has more bang for the
buck.  Almost every gadget or gizmo supports SIP.  Few support IAX2.
To support IAX2 for the relatively small number of people who know what
it is and who are running Asterisk or IAX2-capable gear may be more
trouble than it is worth.

... JG
"We call it the 'one bite at the apple' rule. Give me one chance [and] then
won't contact you again." - Direct Marketing Ass'n position on e-mail
spam(CNN)
With 24 million small businesses in the US alone, that's way too many
apples.