[asterisk-users] Need fax solution for 1.4.xx

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed May 12 08:36:07 CDT 2010

On 05/12/2010 08:22 AM, David Backeberg wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 7:45 AM, Steve Underwood <steveu at coppice.org> wrote:
>> On 05/12/2010 08:46 AM, David Backeberg wrote:
>>> So buy an asterisk appliance that supports fax, and then you can pay
>>> somebody else to do the upgrade.
>> Does that appliance actually support FAX? The web pages don't mention it.
>
> It occurred to me that it might not, after I wrote that.
>
> It does support fax pass-through to the onboard RJ-11 FXS ports, but
> it doesn't mention native softfax termination.
>
> My best answer is 'I don't know', but the absence of mention seems significant.

No, the Asterisk Appliance 50 has no onboard FAX support; it will allow
audio FAX passthrough and T.38 FAX passthrough, but that's all. It has
very limited onboard storage in any case, and there's not really a
practical way to easily move TIFF/PDF files on and off of it, so it
wouldn't make a very good device to provide FAX termination and
origination without some work on the web interface.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com