[asterisk-users] Simulating a commercial SIP provider

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.to
Mon May 10 13:43:05 CDT 2010

Quoting Motiejus Jak?tys <desired.mta at gmail.com>:

> If I understand well - you want second PBX to act as your sip.provider.com
>
> add this to your /etc/hosts (on primary pbx):
> 10.10.10.10 sip.provider.com

No, I'm afraid you misunderstand. This has nothing to do with DNS and
not being able to reach my second PBX -- that's all fine. The
hostname, sip.provider.com, is fictitious anyway.

The problem is how to configure the client entry in the second PBX's
sip.conf so that the first PBX can use it without having to change
anything (other than the hostname). As things stand, I can already do
it, but only if I first remove the "fromuser" and "secret" options
from the sip.conf of the first PBX: that's going too far.

Eventually, I hope to use the new information to expand this article:

    * Asterisk: minimal SIP configuration
      http://www.rjsystems.nl/en/2100-asterisk.php

The text would start with: "If a second Asterisk server is used to
simulate the connection to the commercial SIP provider, add this
stanza to its sip.conf ..."

Thanks anyway,

Jaap