[asterisk-users] More clarification on outbound sip channels.

Jim Dickenson dickenson at cfmc.com
Mon May 10 10:25:15 CDT 2010

--
Jim Dickenson
mailto:dickenson at cfmc.com

CfMC
http://www.cfmc.com/

On May 10, 2010, at 7:35 AM, Eddie Mikell wrote:

> Jim, and all:
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> If I can repeat what you are saying:  you don't have to define the multiple lines in sip.conf?

Your SIP provider will limit the number of concurrent outbound calls you can make. If you try to dial more than allowed you will get a SIP message with some error indicating all outbound channels in use.

> For comparison, with my current esi setup, we have 10 outgoing lines.  If one line is busy, then the service just rolls to the next number.  This is set up with the phone service.
>
> That doesn't have to done with outgoing sip lines?  Does the dialstatus have to be checked when a user dials out?

SIP calls set setup by talking to your SIP provider. They take care of limiting concurrency. Both inbound and outbound. You can have logic in your dialplan using functions GROUP and GROUP_COUNT to keep track of how many channels you are using. Doing this allows you to play a sound file saying all lines are busy try your call later.

If the dial command fails then ${DIALSTATUS} will have values like CHANUNAVAIL CONGESTION NOANSWER BUSY ANSWER CANCEL DONTCALL TORTURE INVALIDARGS