[asterisk-users] text

Dan Journo dan at keshercommunications.com
Sat May 8 18:04:56 CDT 2010

> do i need to have an smtp server somewhere.  i tried directly from my
> dialplan but no joy!  i know you know that i am not a star with this
> but any help would be cool

Hi,

You should check, but I think some carriers don't have email to sms as part of their service, in which case I use an sms provider to send the messages. The provider will charge you a fee per message. It's probably easier to choose a provider that offers an email2sms service.

I operate an SMS website. I'll send you the link directly, however apart from setting up voicemail sms notification, i've never setup sms directly from a dialplan. But if you can figure out how to send a normal email from the dialplan, its the same process for email2sms.

First, I would recommend trying to set up the dialplan to send a normal email to a standard email address to check your dialplan is working.
Then you can change the "To" address to the sms provider's address.

Regards
Dan