[asterisk-users] "Contact header appears incorrect on this invite" Asterisk registering with another PBX

Gareth Blades list-asterisk at skycomuk.com
Fri May 7 11:14:31 CDT 2010

Mike A. Leonetti wrote:
> On 05/07/10 11:52, Gareth Blades wrote:
>> Mike A. Leonetti wrote:
>>
>>> In an attempt to connect our Asterisk 1.6 phone system with another
>>> phone system called "Broadsmart", they gave me credentials to register to.
>>>
>>> Connected to Asterisk 1.6.2.5 currently running on watermelon (pid = 10365)
>>> watermelon*CLI> sip show registry
>>> Host                           dnsmgr Username       Refresh
>>> State                Reg.Time
>>> {broadsmart_ip}:5060              N      {broadsmart_user}        3317
>>> Registered           Fri, 07 May 2010 11:21:41
>>> 1 SIP registrations.
>>>
>>> It shows that I am registered.  But when I go to make a call using:
>>> exten => 706,1,Macro(broadsmart,706)
>>>
>>> and the Macro
>>> [macro-broadsmart]
>>> exten => s,1,Dial(SIP/${arg1}@broadsmart,60)
>>>
>>> Asterisk reports:
>>> [May  7 11:34:45] WARNING[10402]: chan_sip.c:17775
>>> handle_response_invite: Received response: "Forbidden" from '"Mike A.
>>> Leonetti" <sip:{broadsmart_user}@broadsmart.net>;tag=as6376d669'
>>>
>>> The people on the other end sent me this e-mail:
>>>
>> The register command has one set of credentials but if you are dialing
>> using Dial(SIP/${arg1}@broadsmart,60) then the credentials will be
>> looked up in the [broadsmart] section within sip.conf
>>

> So is there a way to dial out using what is already registered?

No. The server you register with can often be different to the one you
pass calls to so keeping them completely separate makes a lot of sense.
You can put the authentication information in the dial command itself
but that is generally not a good idea because it can expose the username
and password to other applications which integrate into asterisk or when
viewing the asterisk console.