[asterisk-users] asterisk and gnokii on same server: scratchy sound

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Fri May 7 07:04:20 CDT 2010

Hi,

Has anyone tried to use gnokii to send/receive SMS messages via serial or USB with AT commands while running Asterisk?

Some of my calls have a "scratchy sound" once in a while. It doesn't seem to be due to packet loss but some kind of interference (CPU is ok, etc.). I've noticed some coincidence in time between this scratchy sound and the gnokii process. I have a bash script that calls gnokii periodically to send/receive messages. The bad audio quality does not *always* appear when the gnokii process is up but just *sometimes*. If I stop my script, thus gnokii, it seems that audio quality is fine overall.

What I still don't quite understand is who's responsible for this audio problem: gnokii itself (I don't think so), the GSM radio signal nearby (about 2 meters) or the data sent through the serial port/cable.

The third explanation is the most probable but I'd like to know other people's opinions.

Thanks,

Vieri