[asterisk-users] OT: NAT in SPA922

David White David.White at watchguard.com
Thu May 6 13:00:44 CDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com on behalf of Noah Miller
Sent: Thu 5/6/2010 10:41 AM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] OT: NAT in SPA922

>>> It is a building, with 24 separated rooms, each room will have a PC and a IP
>>> Phone. Every room connected to a switch Cisco 2950.
>>> I want keeping all PCs isolated behind a NAT (no access to neighbour's PC),
>>> and still keep communication in same LAN between all IP Phones.
>>>
>>> Should I take another approach on that?
>>>
>> Put each PC in its own VLAN.  Keep all the phones in one VLAN.
>>
>> Although having a $30 router in each room hanging off the phone would
>> accomplish what you want also.
>
> Take j's suggestion to use VLANs.  This is not a good situation for
> NAT.  Cisco 2950's can do VLANs.

to be clear, the only way this will work with the PCs is if each PC vlan is *also* a unique ip subnet (else how do all the vlans access a common default gw?)

place the phones in a voice vlan, and the phone problem is solved.
as for the PC isolation, you might get better feedback on a cisco or other networking forum.

-david