[asterisk-users] Productivity Suite on Polycom IP7000

Karl Fife karlfife at gmail.com
Tue May 4 18:54:43 CDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Watkins, Bradley" <Bradley.Watkins at compuware.com>
<asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 4:50 PM
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Productivity Suite on Polycom IP7000

Thanks Brad.
That matches my observation.
It seems like such an ironic a feature omission as to be absurd.  The
expensive _conference_  phone seems (to me) to be precisely the most likely
to support conference-like features.

We actually first bumped into this 'problem' over a year ago when the phone
was first released.  We were early adopters.  We put in support tickets in
with Polycom but got no love.  We gave up, only now revisiting it.  You'd
think someone in support might have known it was not supported way back
then.

What's most interesting about this is that if you look at the ORIGINAL
productivity suite marketing Flash videos, they actually show FIVE-way [sic]
conferencing on an IP670.  That's five-way, as in YOU and 4 other callers.
I suspect that 5-way was originally the hope, but in the real-world it ended
up being too resource intensive to provide consistent quality.  It seems
reasonable that the feature may have simply been 'scaled back' from FIVE to
FOUR-way calling on the IP6xx. By extension, perhaps the IP7000 (supporting
full 14khz audio) found its 'real world' limit at THREE-way calling instead
of FOUR.  Just a WAG, but maybe a reasonable one.

-Karl