[asterisk-users] Dropped Calls

Michael L. Young myoung at acsacc.com
Wed Mar 31 10:38:33 CDT 2010

Is there a chance that you are using Realtime at all?

I am just curious because I was having problems with dropped calls as well
and just discovered that it appears to be related to the database server.
If for some reason on the database server there is a table lock (which I am
investigating why) asterisk drops any PRI calls and SIP calls.  Everything
looked normal and the error messages never once suggest a problem with the
database server or Realtime.  I was looking everywhere else but at the
Realtime until I stumbled across it.  While doing some backups with FLUSH
READ LOCKS to a slave machine, which I changed asterisk to use a few months
back, I had dropped calls occur.  I later confirmed that asterisk seems to
hang / freeze during that period but once the database server releases the
locks, asterisk continues to function without any problems.

This started to occur when we had an increase in call volume and an increase
in load on the db server.  I was using Realtime for extensions, sip peers
and CDR.  I had turned off using realtime for CDR (which we don't really use
anyway) and started to use a slave server instead of the master when
performing some maintenance on the master db server.  I left it that way
since I was just using it for extensions and sip peers and that had cleared
it up over the last few months until I ran my backup.

Not sure that helps but it is worth a shot in mentioning to you.

Regards,
Michael Young
(elguero)