[asterisk-users] Dropped Calls

Brent Davidson brent at texascountrytitle.com
Tue Mar 30 14:54:49 CDT 2010

I've written about this issue several times, but have not yet found any
solution to it.  I am using asterisk 1.4.21.2 and zaptel 1.4.12.  Phones
are primarily Snom 300's but I also have a couple of headset phones
connected to Grandstream HT286 SIP adapters.  I have 8 offices, each has
it's own asterisk server all running the same versions of asterisk and
Zaptel.  Only difference is that one office uses a Digium TDM 8-port
card and the other branches use 4-port Rhino cards with only 2 ports in
use.  What happens is that periodically we will be in a call and the
call will just drop.  It's usually within the first couple of minutes of
the call.  The calls can be either incoming or outgoing.  The phenomenon
affects both the Snoms and the Grandstreams.  Along with the dropped
call issue, we periodically have a problem where a person we call or a
person that calls in cannot hear the person in the our office, but the
person in our office can hear the remote person fine.

All of the phones are on the same physical network as the asterisk
server.  There is no NAT, no Firewall, VLAN, etc. between the phones and
the server.   I have tried running sip debugs on the calls, but on the
off chance that my logs catch either a drop or a one-way audio, the sip
debug looks like just a normal call.

Is there any setting that might cause both one-way audio and dropped calls?

Thanks,
Brent Davidson