[asterisk-users] Background noise

khalid touati khalidtouati at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 11:05:56 CDT 2010

Hi Philip,
So i looked at the codecs in the device (polycom) it says only G.711 and
ulaw can be used, i made an internal call using two phones that are
configured just with sip (so IAX not involved) but the static noise is
there, i typed show sip peer <username> and this is the only thing i got:
 Codecs       : 0x8000e (gsm|ulaw|alaw|h263)
 Codec Order  : (none)
it should be some commands that can give me a better idea about the codecs,
if anyone know them, please help!

2010/3/25 Philipp von Klitzing <klitzing at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de>

> Hi!
>
> > i have recently connected my (working) asterisk 1.2 server, with two
> > 1.4 asterisk servers (one using SIP the other using IAX), since then
> > (i believe) people starts complaining about a high background noise
>
> The best idea is probably to start out by looking at the codecs. If you
> happen to have either gsm or g726 somewhere along your media path then I
> would strongly suggest you start to get rid of them so see if that
> eliminates the issue. g726 is one big mess, and gsm had some compiler
> issues in the past.
>
> The next thing to look at is if the issue only appears when IAX is
> involved.
>
> Maybe looking at the Polycom firmware, and release notes in particular
> (no clue how detailed those are), would also be a good idea.
>
> Philipp
>

> --

Abdullah