[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.6 and OpenVPN RTP problem

Dave Platt dplatt at radagast.org
Thu Mar 25 12:44:09 CDT 2010

> Thank you for your reply.
>

> The first proposed solution has resolved the problem for a test in the local
> network. Another test is planned today later with a client in the same NAT
> and another in the public internet with a public static ip address.
>
> Do you have any advice for that case?

That case should work out fine if you've specified "directmedia=no"
for the client(s) on the NAT/OpenVPN side, as long as the Asterisk
server has a public IP address.  Asterisk will forward the RTP
between the client on the public Internet, and the client on
the OpenVPN tunnel. You won't need to have a routable connection
directly between the two clients.

I run my own setup this way.  All clients on my home LAN,
and my OpenVPN'ed mobile (Nokia N810) specify "directmedia=no".
I can make calls (RTP both ways, no trouble) between them, between
one of them and a client on the public Internet, and between them
and various VoIP providers' systems.

Using OpenVPN, and depending on Asterisk to forward the RTP, seems
to be a *lot* more reliable than trying to do direct SIP/RTP and
depending on STUN or SIP-aware NAT gateways.