[asterisk-users] This is a test, hijack this

Karl Fife karlfife at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 16:35:20 CDT 2010

Gergo is using Gmail,
He is also using an IMAP client to author his messages (as I do).

The messages (new threads) he authors ARE of course 'going through' (that is
to say, he CAN start a new thread) but because of the way the Gmail 'label'
paradigm is 'shoe-horned' into the IMAP folder paradigm (read: less than
perfectly), the Gmail server logic ONLY applies the SENT MAIL label, but not
(also) the INBOX label therefore they don't show up in his IMAP inbox (I'm
using inbox synonymously with whatever "folder" that he has created
server-side rules for).

THEREFORE the perception is that they don't 'go through' because he can't
see them in his inbox and assumes therefore that  nobody else can see them
either.  However, as we know they DO go through.

As a workaround he should grab the message from his IMAP Sent Mail "folder"
and "copy" them into his "inbox".  I put quotes around the folder names
because of course there are no such folders in reality--only labels, but
those actions he can trigger the IMAP server to apply the right Gmail labels
'behind-the-scenes"

I haven't tried to think through why the nuances are such that this
characteristic doesn't express itself when he replies to others' threads,
but I suspect it has something to do with Gmail's 'threading' logic.

I hope this helps.

-Karl [experience, the]