[asterisk-users] Sip module and dns

Luis Silva luis.silva at dreamware.pt
Tue Mar 23 12:31:54 CDT 2010

Hi ,

I had some problems in the past with sip trunks, asterisk-users Digest, Vol
68, Issue 4, message 6, and  had a reply (message 9) saying that It could be
a dns issue.

Well today I had a problem again with sip module and it really seams a dns
issue.

I have an asterisk, version 1.4.26.1, that has 4 bri access and two sip
trunks. I'm having internet access problems and when this happens and if one
of the trunks tries to reregister its panic time!!! All the sip peers goes
unreachable, trunks and phones,  and the sip module "freezes", sip reload
takes many many time to act.  My solution is to remove the sip trunks from
the configuration.

But why this happens? Why If there is no dns resolution of the trunks sip
module "freezes" ? This is more strange because if by some reason the
internet is down but still exists dns cache all is ok. (of course sip trunks
unreachable)

This is supposed to be like this? There is no dns tunning for asterisk+sip?

To avoid this I'm starting to think putting bind in the asterisk server and
publishing there the zones of the sip trunks. (Or instead of names start
using the ip's)

Any comments?

Regards,

Luis Silva