[asterisk-users] Voicemail, Asterisk and Grandstream BT200

Daniel Bareiro daniel-listas at gmx.net
Sun Mar 21 19:07:23 CDT 2010

Hi, Gordon.

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010, Gordon Henderson wrote:

>> I'm testing with a Grandstream BT200 telephone and, according to I
>> read, it has a LED that blinks if for that extension messages were
>> left.
>>
>> In "Voice Mail UserID", under the "ACCOUNT" tab, I put *100 that is
>> the extension in which my Asterisk answer the voicemail service and
>> if then I press MESSAGE button, the telephone communicates with
>> Asterisk and, after to introduce the password, it indicates to me
>> that I have messages. But the luminous indicator does not work.
>>
>> It is necessary to configure something special for this? It can be
>> that it doesn't work because there is to introduce one password
>> previously?

> There's another setting in the phone you need to set "SUBSCRIBE for
> MWI".

Yes. I was needing to indicate the use of MWI of the side of the
configuration of the telephone. I selected the "SUBSCRIBES for MWI"
checkbox.

> And make-sure the mailbox number is listed in the sip.conf entry for
> that phone.

According to which I was reading, the MWI notifications become by the
option "mailbox=" in the configuration of the extension. For this
extension, the 104, had "mailbox=104" but still with MWI enabled option,
it was not working. After to think enough on this subject, I have
noticed that instead of 104 I had to put 104 at voicemail since "voicemail"
it was context that I'm using in voicemail.conf.

With this already was working.

However, beyond this, I was with the following situation: if I call from
a cell phone, my Asterisk take the call, it presents to the caller the
possibility to dialing an extension number and, in case of not doing it,
it transfers this call to a specific extension.

Then, if in this extension nobody takes the call, the service of
voicemail is triggered so that the caller leaves its message from the
cell phone. But if it hangs after to let the message without have
pressed previously the pound key, the channel is taken and no longer any
other call enters the PBX from the PSTN. This does not happen if the
caller presses the pound key after to have left his message.

As I have a box at which the cable arrives from the PSTN in which there
are two ports of derivation and in one of them it leaves the cable for
the Asterisk PBX (connected only then), after to have detected this
problem I tried connecting in the other port an analog telephone and,
indeed, it did not have tone as if never it had been hung. In addition
this was confirmed because the MWI light never blinked on the telephone.

After restarting the Asterisk server, yes the MWI light blinks and in
addition I could corob the time in which the channel was "taken" seeing
that the message lasted more than nine minutes.

To what this problem can be due? It has to do the call is made
specifically from cell phone through the PSTN (because if I leave a
message hanging directly without pressing the pound key from an local
extension, this does not happen)? There is some form to avoid it?

Thanks for your reply!

Regards,
Daniel