[asterisk-users] (no subject)

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Thu Mar 18 19:35:14 CDT 2010

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010, Adrian Marsh wrote:

> I’m looking for some advice on securing Asterisk.
>
> My first step will be to strengthen the passwords in use, and for the
> hardphones to restrict by IP address, but that still leaves the
> softphone quite widely open.

Asterisk doesn't differentiate between a hard phone and a soft phone. You
can restrict by IP address for soft phones as well.

> Does Asterisk 1.6 have anything in it that can automatically block out
> an attacking IP, say if it receives several 20 or so failed attempts
> from that IP in x minutes?

I'm a 1.2 Luddite, so I can't speak for 1.6.

I think any "brute force" or DOS security policy needs to be implemented
external to Asterisk. I don't think there are any AMI events you could
listen to. I think you are limited to what you can scrounge out of a log
file.

How about setting up a couple of "honey-pot" SIP accounts with obvious
passwords and in the context fire off a user event? Then you could listen
for the event via AMI.

> Any other suggestions?

Repost with a meaningful subject -- a blank subject labels you as a newbie
who is probably not worth the time of members with relevant experience.

--
Thanks in advance,