[asterisk-users] Digium TE4xx T1 Bonding

Eric Wheeler asterisk at ew.ewheeler.org
Sun Mar 14 19:37:42 CDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 22:24 +0100, Christian Victor wrote:
> 2010/3/11 Eric Wheeler <asterisk at ew.ewheeler.org>:

> Hi Eric,
>
> I have four spare TE411P but never used bonded T1 or T1 for data at
> all. If you can supply me with instructions I could test if your plan
> works the way you need.

Great!

Here's the procedure I would use to test such a setup, which roughly
follows the documentation for the R2T1 card from Rhino:
https://support.rhinoequipment.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=95

You may wish to try this on a single span or two spans to simplify the
configuration and scale appropriately.  Also, the span= in system.conf
on one side may need to be modified to be the signaling side (same
config as if you were doing a PRI)

1. Get two systems and plug a 4-port card into each.
2. Cut cross-over T1 cables and plug the systems into eachother, 4==4.

This is the T1 cross-over pinout:
http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch/HARDWARE/common-cables.html#xover-t1

3. On each end, configure your card's kernel drivers
set /etc/dahdi/system.conf to look like:

=================
span=1,1,0,esf,b8zs
span=2,1,0,esf,b8zs
span=3,1,0,esf,b8zs
span=4,1,0,esf,b8zs

nethdlc=1-24
nethdlc=25-48
nethdlc=49-72
nethdlc=73-96
=================

Run dahdicfg -vvv to make sure it works right.

4. Configure each ethernet-emulated hdlc interface for each side:

sethdlc hdlc0 hdlc-eth
sethdlc hdlc1 hdlc-eth
sethdlc hdlc2 hdlc-eth
sethdlc hdlc3 hdlc-eth

ifconfig hdlc0 up
ifconfig hdlc1 up
ifconfig hdlc2 up
ifconfig hdlc3 up

5. Bond the links on each side

enslave -f bond0 hdlc{0,1,2,3}

6. One one side:
  ifconfig bond0 192.168.0.1

7. On the other side:
  ifconfig bond0 192.168.0.2

8. install iperf on each side and test the link speeds:

on the first host: iperf -s

on the second host: iperf -c 192.168.0.2

Do you get 6Mbit?  Yay!

I'm excited to hear if it works.  If not, I have a couple other ideas
too.

-Eric