[asterisk-users] Phones won't stop ringing

cb cb at mythtech.net
Wed Mar 10 22:30:13 CST 2010

On Mar 10, 2010, at 10:27 PM, Chris Owen wrote:

>> This normally works fine but occasionally when someone picks up the
>> call other phones don't seem to realize the call has been answered
>> and will continue to ring.   On at least once occasion I saw a call
>> that went to voicemail and all the phones continued to ring.   When
>> this happens the phones will continue to ring forever.   The only
>> way to stop them from ringing is to pickup the handset at which
>> time they realize there is no call and reset.
>>
>> What kind of phones?
>
> All Aastra 6755i

I've been seeing this lately on Cisco 7940, seems to happen on two of
the three at a location I deal with. They worked fine for years and
then all of a sudden this just started happening. Rebooting the phone
will cure it for a period of time, but it always comes back, and
always to the same two phones (although not always at the same time).
I don't think anything changed when it started happening, but I can't
say for sure.

It may also happen on a Polycom at that location as well, reports on
that one have been sketchy, so I can't be sure it really is versus
they are hearing a 2nd call ringing and just think the phone is stuck
ringing. (I do know for a fact it happens with the Cisco and is not
simply a 2nd call).

I had figured it was the old version of Asterisk I'm running and the
fact that the server has had several power failures so who knows the
health of the machine and install. But if it is happening to others,
my assumption may be wrong.

-chris
<www.mythtech.net>