[asterisk-users] Asterisk SMDI for Nortel Option 11

Carlos Chavez cursor at telecomabmex.com
Wed Mar 10 18:47:32 CST 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 13:27 +1300, Alec Davis wrote:
> >The only thing they will really miss is the MWI light on their phones.
>
> Asterisk supports VMWI Visual MWI in various forms;
>
> >From a cheap analog phone point of view:
> 	have a look at 'mwisendtype' in chan_dahdi.conf
> 	line reversal if the phone has a LineReversal LED.
> 	neon high voltage pulses, to light NEON bulb.
>
> For the fully featured analog phones, that probably have CallerID
> 	FSK MWI - the default mwisendtype.
>
> SIP phones have their own subscription based VMWI.
>
> And I'm sure more.

	If the phones were directly connected to Asterisk this would not be a
problem.  All the phones are proprietary Nortel digital phones that
connect directly to the Nortel box.  I need something like SMDI to
signal the PBX to turn the MWI light on.  Unfortunately all the
documentation I have read says that the Option 11 does not support SMDI
and I cannot find any other way of telling it to turn on the light when
there is voicemail waiting in Asterisk.

Carlos Chávez Prats
Director de Tecnología
+52-55-91169161 ext 2001