[asterisk-users] Caller Presentation Confusion

Jim Dickenson dickenson at cfmc.com
Sun Mar 7 11:42:06 CST 2010

I have been fighting with the ability to set the caller ID when I make outbound calls via a PRI line as well as via my SIP provider. The more I play around the less I understand.

There is a setting in chan_dahdi.conf that seems to say do not pay attention to the CALLERPRES value and just allow the ID to be set. This setting is usecallingpres. If this is set to yes then the value of CALLERPRES controls the sending of the caller ID that might be set with Set(CALLERID(num)=${MyCallerID}). With a setting of yes I had to Set(CALLERPRES()=allowed_not_screened) before the caller ID would be sent. With a setting of no I did not need this step.

In playing with trying to get the caller ID set for my SIP provider I noticed that if the user trying to make the call had a callerid set in iax.conf then I could set the ID as CALLERPRES was a value that allowed the ID to pass. On the other hand if the user did not have callerid set then I had to change the value of CALLERPRES before the ID would pass.

I noticed the setting callingpres in sip.conf so I set that for the SIP provider's user but unless the calling user had a callerid set then this value was ignored.

I am guessing all this has some reasoning behind it but I have sent hours trying to understand it.

Does any documentation exist that explains the relationship between various options that may be placed in conf files that effect ones ability to set caller ID on outbound calls?
--
Jim Dickenson
mailto:dickenson at cfmc.com

CfMC