[asterisk-users] MOH Oddity

Håkon Nessjøen haakon at avelia.no
Fri Mar 5 17:01:09 CST 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 11:29 PM, Matt <mhoppes at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to setup my asterisk system for the least overhead as possible.
>
> My understanding (and experience with other systems) leads me to believe I can run any MOH using a certain class through a single 'player' as opposed to starting an independent stream for each MOH instance.  However, try as I might, I can not get it to work.

If the MOH files have the same codec as the calls, I don't really
think you need to think of this as resource demanding. Normal MOH from
files only opens the files and reads a chunk of data, and if possible
sends it directly to the client. This means that there is no advanced
"player" in use. If your machine have reasonable amount of ram
installed, the files also will automatically be cached in your ram by
your operating system. So it's really just transactions of data chunks
from your ram to a socket. Doesn't really matter if all channels read
from the same place inside the file, or if they start from the
beginning for each channel.

If you used a single external program to convert for example a web
radio to 8khz audio, then you would get all those calls retrieving
data from the same place. But this would be much more prone to errors,
and more resource demanding than pre-encoded audio files in a
directory like you already do.

Håkon