[asterisk-users] Hardware requirements question.

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Fri Mar 5 10:33:07 CST 2010

----- "David Little" <david at mandm-tech.com> wrote:
> I have a Dell PowerEdge 4300 server with dual Zenon 550 MHz
> processors,
> SCSI controller with four 9MB drives and 1 GB of RAM. I want to
> develop
> an asterisk pbx with 4 POTS lines in and 16 analog extensions (no
> VOIP).
> I also will install a sound card for an intercom. Is this hardware
> sufficient if  using a Digium TDM2400P?

<whistle>

Zenons?!? Those must be brand new on the market... :-)

In all seriousness, yes, I would think that hardware should handle the calls. BUT, how much will you be spending on power? My quick Googling shows thats a pretty beefy box. For what you could save in power, buy a shiny little Intel Atom based or similar low power system. You'll save on your monthly electrical costs plus, you'll have headroom to do other telephony tasks and not have to worry about your system load causing poor voice quality.

My $0.02 USD. I accept cash only. :-)

--Tim