[asterisk-users] UK CallerID -v- Wildcard W100P

Ade Vickers asterisk at solutionengineers.com
Thu Mar 4 10:33:48 CST 2010

Brian wrote:

> At the risk of being flamed....
>
> Has anyone had any success get the 'El cheapo' Wildcard W100P
> clone's (£20 flavour) to work with UK Caller ID?
>
> I'm not sure what the status of Asterisk 1.6 is with respect
> to UK caller ID, being that we have an odd method of sending
> the FSK ahead of the ring, but I'm guessing I can't be the
> first to ask this?

Nope, I asked.... some years ago :)

I could never get my Wildcard clone to work with UK CLID, no matter what
patches I applied. I gave up in the end & implemented a very roundabout
solution using a Pace modem, second computer, and a database... It worked,
albeit a little slowly.

> Keeping in mind that cost is the most important factor, my
> searches I've found a couple of suggestions - the most
> promising of which was reading the CID from a serial modem.
> However, I've tried a couple - on of which is a BT Enabler
> that no amount of AT commands can get to give up the CID
> - and concluded that the chances of finding a compatible
> modem are probably slimer than getting the clone to work.

There are a very small number of modems which work with CLID. Pace being the
only ones that I know of, which worked reliably... and Pace went bust years
ago. You can pick up 2nd hand Pace modems off eBay, but by the time you've
done that, you may as well have bought an A400P card... which will do UK
CLID out of the box. If you want to take the Modem route, send me a mail
off-list, as I have an implementation that may work for you.

> Has anyone been able to get the cheap clone cards to offer
> CID in the UK?

Only the A400P. But, TBH, at £55 with 1xFXO module, that's pretty cheap
these days. I can heartily recommend them for being a) more reliable, and b)
quicker at CLID detection than the modem option...

HTH.
Ade.