[asterisk-users] UK CallerID -v- Wildcard W100P

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Thu Mar 4 10:11:12 CST 2010

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Brian wrote:

(your email is a bit weird - my clients not quoting it right )-:

> On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 15:35 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Brian wrote:
>
> > At the risk of being flamed....
>
> > Has anyone had any success get the 'El cheapo' Wildcard W100P clone's
> > (£20 flavour) to work with UK Caller ID?
>
> Looks like there is a patch to Zaptel to make it work:
>
>    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+and+UK+Caller+ID
>
> but who knows if it's in & working...

> I hear that it does with Zaptel - but Asterisk 1.6 - DAHDI ;-)

So use 1.2 and Zaptel then... Works for me. I have no reason not desire to
even think about 1.6 right now... There are 1000's other still sticking to
1.2... I have ventured into 1.4 territory though, but oddly enough, it
doesn't yet give me as secure a feeling as 1.2 does...

>>    http://www.voipon.co.uk/openvox-a400p01-p-669.html

> Given the PSTN rings once a month if that - all the rest is SIP via
> ITSP, I can't justify the cost of 5 times a telephone for a card - but
> thanks for the heads up GK old chap.

> It's not a big issue - but an irritation if anything. I suspect a £2.50
> callerID unit, a serial IC and a soldering iron may end up being the
> solution :-)

Good luck then - but do make sure the line is actually presenting caller
ID first! I had issues with some telewest lines until I ported them into
VoIP...

Gordon