[asterisk-users] UK CallerID -v- Wildcard W100P

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Thu Mar 4 09:35:35 CST 2010

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Brian wrote:

> At the risk of being flamed....

> Has anyone had any success get the 'El cheapo' Wildcard W100P clone's
> (£20 flavour) to work with UK Caller ID?

Looks like there is a patch to Zaptel to make it work:

   http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+and+UK+Caller+ID

but who knows if it's in & working...

> I'm not sure what the status of Asterisk 1.6 is with respect to UK
> caller ID, being that we have an odd method of sending the FSK ahead of
> the ring, but I'm guessing I can't be the first to ask this?

We do a line polarity reversal, then FSK the caller ID, then ring the
line...

> Keeping in mind that cost is the most important factor, my searches I've
> found a couple of suggestions - the most promising of which was reading
> the CID from a serial modem. However, I've tried a couple - on of which
> is a BT Enabler that no amount of AT commands can get to give up the CID
> - and concluded that the chances of finding a compatible modem are
> probably slimer than getting the clone to work.

> Has anyone been able to get the cheap clone cards to offer CID in the
> UK?

My definition of a cheap clone card is somewhat different from yours, but
for £55.50 + VAT, I use these:

   http://www.voipon.co.uk/openvox-a400p01-p-669.html

Gordon