[asterisk-users] Asterisk & Sofaware & Polycom

Darrin Henshaw darrin.asterisk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 08:59:24 CST 2010

*Hello,*
*
*Just thought to post our experiences trying to get a Polycom Soundpoint 450
working through a Sofaware to an endpoint doing SIP natting.*
*
*
*As mentioned above our situation was such. We use Asterisk as our PBX and
have SIP natted through the corporate firewalls. A remote user has a Polycom
450, and we purchased for him a Safe at Office 500.*
*
*
*It was a bit of a struggle to get it working, but once we finished it the
setup is working like a champ for the user.*
*
*
*The highlight points for anyone attempting anything similar are:*
*
*
*1. If you want to provision the phone using boot options(which I highly
suggest), none of the DHCP options in the 500W match option 66 from DHCP.
that being said we programmed the Polycom to use a different option. The
Avays IP Phone option is 176, so you can configure the phone to use that
boot option instead of the default 66. We had to capture the traffic using
all three options to find out what they were exactly. Wireshark gave us the
exact details needed. Once we knew that you can simply enter the IP of your
ftp server used for provisioning.*
*
*
*2. If you are using provisioning like above, definitely look at the NAT
options available in the Polycom config files. The latest document I have
is:
http://www.polycom.com/global/documents/support/setup_maintenance/products/voice/spip_ssip_vvx_Admin_Guide_SIP_3_2_2_eng.pdf.
Check out page A - 151 for the natting options. We ended up not needing the
nat.ip option because the sofaware did pretty good natting already. However
we used the keepalive, signal and media port options:*
*
*
*   <nat*
*      nat.keepalive.interval="7"*
*      nat.signalPort="5060" *
*      nat.mediaPortStart="10000"*
*   />*
*
*
*3. The final touch was kind of surprising, the smartdefense options caused
more problems, another post on http://sofaware.infopop.cc, mentions
disabling both options which worked perfectly, using the console we turned
the smart defense option off like so:*
*
*
*set smartdefense ai voip sip alg disable enforce-rfc disabled*
*
*
*It seems that this option turned on caused the connection to time out
roughly every 65 seconds. At first this was stumping us as we figured it was
a UDP timeout issue on the firewalls, but we dug up the post suggesting to
turn it off.*
*
*
*All in all this setup is definitely possible, and seems to work quite well
for us. Just thought to post our adventures in case others need to do
something similar.*
*
*
*Cheers,*