[asterisk-users] MWI and 1.6.1

Dave Poirier dpoirier at mesd.k12.or.us
Tue Mar 2 12:36:24 CST 2010

We are having an issue with Asterisk 1.6.1 and the MWI turning on when a
user doesn't have voicemail. We see random MWI lights come on and the phone
indicates a random number of messages (its been anywhere from 1-14) when a
server reload is done.

I just checked one user, they have no messages old or new and the phone
(Polycom IP330) indicates that they have 2 messages. The user will check for
messages, the system will tell them that they have none and the light goes
out.

I know that starting in 1.6 Asterisk moved from a polling system to an event
based system but it's unclear to me what is causing these events to be
generated. Anyone else experience this? Any tips, suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave