[asterisk-users] Is answer() necessary ?

Ioan Indreias indreias at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 00:19:42 CST 2010

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 4:17 AM, sean darcy <seandarcy2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you have to Answer() to reach the fax extension?
>
> That is assume you have:
>
> [incoming-pstn-line]
> exten => fax,1,NoOp(Fax Detected)  ;; the fax line
> exten => fax,2,GoTo(incoming-fax,s,1)
> exten => fax,n,Hangup()            ;; the fax machine
>
> exten =>s,1,Answer()  ; only answer after __ seconds
> exten =>s,n,Wait(3) ; wait to see if it's a fax
> exten =>s,n,Dial(${House_Phones},36)  ; this should be six rings
>
> Can I do away with the answer()? And the Wait() I assume?
>
> sean

Hello Sean,

In order to detect a fax session you have to answer first. A fax
sessions is detected based on the incoming fax tones received from the
calling party, when it tries to negotiate with the called party. Based
on the pattern of those tones you have also to Wait several seconds.

Conclusion: in case you need automatic fax handling you have to Answer + Wait.

Note: In order to have a good caller-id detection I recommend to have
also a Wait before the Answer - but maybe you do not have such
problems...

HTH,
Ioan.