[asterisk-users] User on PC?

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Mon Mar 1 17:23:44 CST 2010

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010, Leif Neland wrote:

> I'm looking for a way for linux to query a pc if user X is on, and has
> used the pc recently or the screensaver is not active.
>
> If so, I'll route a call for user X to the phone near that PC.
>
> Ideas, anyone?

In the good old days we had utilities such as finger and so on - these
days we're all paranoid about security, etc. that all the nice stuff is
turned off... Or should be!

However, if you're on a LAN/WAN at the company level then they can be made
to work again, but outside a strictly controlled environment it's not
going to be easy - unless you write something to do it yourself...

Gordon