[asterisk-users] Strange Asterisk/SIP call forwarding behavior

Myles Wakeham myles at techsol.org
Tue Jun 29 13:36:04 CDT 2010

I have a small Asterisk 1.4.2 system that I run out of my home based
business, and my Dialplan has it set to send any incoming call to my
desk Grandstream phone.  Works really well.

When I leave the office, I need to re-direct the calls to my cell phone.
  I tried to do this through my Grandstream phone, but it really didn't
work all that well.  Callers would tell me that they tried to call but
got cut off, etc.

So I decided to setup my dialplan with a variable in it for the
destination phone to route to (SIP/MyDeskPhone or Local/1555555555)
(number excluded for obvious readons) to my cell phone.

What I'm finding, however, is that my Dialplan has about a 50% chance of
successfully routing the phone call through to my cell phone when I'm
switched over to using it.  I suspect it has something to do with a
timing issue with my outgoing SIP provider or something like that.

What I'm looking for is some sort of advice on 'best practice' to handle
call routing to my cell phone vs. keeping it on my LAN to my desktop
phone.  As I mentioned, the desktop phone works flawlessly and I'm
trying to get the same results on my cell phone so I don't lose any
calls in the process.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Myles