[asterisk-users] [CRON] Right way to restart Asterisk and Zaptel?

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Fri Jun 25 08:45:29 CDT 2010

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010, Gareth Blades wrote:

> If you are going to reboot the server regularly then make sure and
> system updates are set to not automatically install new kernel versions.
> Otherwise if you get a kernel update and reboot zaptel/dahdi wont load
> until you recompile it.

I "enhanced" my /etc/init.d/zaptel to rebuild zaptel if the module was not
available for the current kernel:

# check for a zaptel driver for this kernel
 	if      [ ! -s /lib/modules/`uname -r`/*/zaptel.ko ]
         then    echo "Rebuilding zaptel"
 		$0 rebuild
         fi

(and then a bit later in the file)

# rebuild the zaptel driver
         rebuild)
                 if      [ -d /usr/src/zaptel/ ]
                 then    cd /usr/src/zaptel/
                         make clean
                         make
                         make install
                 else    echo "You need to download and untar the zaptel"
                         echo "driver source to /usr/src/zaptel."
                 fi
                 ;;

However, the "philosophy" of regularly rebooting the box ensures that you
will never find the source of the problem.

Hey Gilles, any chance of you fixing whatever it is that you are doing
that causes you to double-post EVERYTHING?

--
Thanks in advance,