[asterisk-users] SPA8000 outbound CID problem

Mark G. Thomas Mark at Misty.com
Thu Jun 24 13:54:35 CDT 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to configure a Linksys/Cisco SPA8000 talking SIP to
both a local Asterisk server and also with a trunk directly to
a VOIP provider. Everything works great, except I'm having a problem
setting the outbound caller ID to a value different from the
SIP username/authname.

The SPA8000 has SIP setting for Display Name, User ID, Password,
and Auth ID, as well as a "Use Auth ID" checkbox. It's running 6.1.3
firmware, which looks to be the latest, and supports SIP trunking, though
even if I don't use trunking, I have the same obstacle if I configure it
per-line instead of per-trunk.

Inbound CID works fine. When VOIP calls come in via the provider or
Asterisk, the SPA generates CID on it's analog ports.

The problem is that the outbound caller ID number seems to come from
the SIP "User ID" setting, which is also the SIP authentication name.
If I instead put the SIP account id into the "Auth ID" field and check
the "Use Auth ID" box, Asterisk reports:

  Registration from 'John Smith <sip:jsmith at our.sip.gateway.com>' failed for
  '1.2.3.4' - Username/auth name mismatch.

Sure, I can overide the CID number on our Asterisk server, but I don't
have that ability with the VOIP provider's Asterisk server. The outbound
caller ID always looks like "John Smith <jsmith>" instead of
"John Smith <2155551212>" no matter how I try to set these fields.

I take it the SIP username and auth name need to match, so that leaves me
with the question of how to configure a CID number that doesn't necessarily
match the SIP user/auth name. Is this a limitation of this device, or
is there some other option I'm overlooking?

Mark

--
Mark G. Thomas (Mark at Misty.com)
Web: http://mgtinternet.com/