[asterisk-users] one for your filters

Dave Platt dplatt at radagast.org
Wed Jun 23 16:54:45 CDT 2010

> I'm still trying to figure that out.  Our SIP usernames are seven digit
> phone numbers, so not really difficult to guess, but the passwords are 7
> char alpha-numeric strings, auto generated.  We don't at present restrict
> people to their addresses, as some are dynamic.

If they're randomly generated (which might not be the same as
"auto generated") then that *ought* to be a big enough
namespace to provide reasonable resistance to cracking...
78 billion combinations at least (assuming upper-case alpha
and numeric characters).

Do your logs show a lot of failed registrations?  A brute-
force password-guessing attack ought to show up in this way
(and is thus good fodder for a Fail2Ban auto-jailing).

You should check your Asterisk configuration to make
triple-sure that:

(1) Inbound "guest" calls go only to a restrictive context
    which will allow calling of only your own specific
    extensions, and

(2) You don't have DISA enabled on any extension... a
    short DISA passcode and a guessable DISA extension
    number could be an expensive vulnerability.