[asterisk-users] one for your filters

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Wed Jun 23 13:50:21 CDT 2010

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010, Steve Howes wrote:

> Would advise people in the UK do not use that list... 82.0.0.0/8 would
> block a reasonable chunk of my users for starters..

It is a bit of a blunt sword :)

I constructed this list by checking who the class A address block was
assigned to by ARIN.

In this list, they are identified as belonging to: afrinic, apnic, jnic,
lacnic, and ripe so you can pick and choose.

Hopping on my soapbox...

Security is best approached in layers and if you can, disallow all and
allow by exception.

I don't have any illusions that this is a panacea to online security
issues, but I think it is a "cheap" outer layer with a great payback.

On my home Asterisk & email server, it blocks about 1.5 million packets a
week.

--
Thanks in advance,