[asterisk-users] Is this failed Asterisk setup typical?

CunningPike cunningpike at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 18:47:08 CDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 6:16 AM, Gilles <codecomplete at free.fr> wrote:
> Hello
>
>        I just read this article and would like some feedback from
> experienced Asterisk users:
>
> ===============
> "Failed open source VoIP deployment leads to hosted VoIP strategy" By
> Jessica Scarpati

<snip>

> http://searchunifiedcommunications.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid186_gci1508323_mem1,00.html
> (free registration required)
> ===============
>
> So it looks like this company had the following issues:
> * No in-house technical expertise to set up and maintain Asterisk
> * Not enough bandwidth
> * DID module apparently not reliable
>
> Based on your experience, are those problems typical?
>
> Thank you.

Not in our experience as a 500-phone, 20-site install for a municipal
government. We are just migrating from our first generation install to
replacement hardware (to new blades from servers that are now 5 years
old) and are still committed to Asterisk for it.

Done right, Asterisk saved us over three quarters of a million dollars
over a big-C install.

CP