[asterisk-users] Why asterisk down when inet server down?

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 16:38:17 CDT 2010

On 06/18/2010 05:08 PM, Hans Witvliet wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 13:59 -0400, sean darcy wrote:
>

>> If the internet server is down, there can't be a valid DNS server
>> accessible to Asterisk. The asterisk server is a caching name server,
>> but obviously won't be able to resolve addresses not in its cache.
>>
>> Asterisk clearly doesn't need to resolve addresses to connect calls
>> internally or over the T1. Is there any way to turn off its requirement
>> for a DNS server? Or at least not fail catastrophically?
>
> Even when your connection to Internet is lost, doesn't mean there can
> not be a valid dns server. I would recommend to run bind on your
> asterisk machine to resolve all addresses that your asterisk server
> and/or phones need.

I do run bind on the asterisk machine.

  If that machine goes down, your phones can not call
> anyway ;-)

But why can't my phones call. The outgoing lines are PRI/DAHDI T1. No
sip. No iax. Why does the asterisk machine have to resolve any address?

The internal phones can't even call each other, even though they have
hard ip addresses.

> Same for doing DHCP for handing out addresses to your phones...

All the phones have manual ip addresses. No DHCP.

sean