[asterisk-users] Why asterisk down when inet server down?

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 15:41:27 CDT 2010

On 06/18/2010 03:09 PM, Steve Edwards wrote:
> Abandoning all hope of un-top-posting...
>
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010, sean darcy wrote:
>
> (Sean has a problem and several posters suspect it is DNS related.)
>
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010, Zeeshan Zakaria wrote:
>
>> Did you check /etc/resolv? Does it point to any DNS by domain name?
>
> If you mean "/etc/resolv.conf" and the "nameserver" option, an IP address
> is required -- otherwise all attempts to use the resolver library fail.

I'm running named as a caching nameserver. /etc/resolv.conf point to
localhost. But, obviously, it only responds from the cache, since the
root servers are unavailable.

> Have you tried running "tcpdump -i [eth0|eth1|lo] port domain" to see if
> it is a DNS query (and what the query is for) that is the issue?
>
> Have you tried entering the host names and IP addresses in /etc/hosts?

tcpdump is an interesting idea. The only trouble is that I'm not sure
when to run it. The phones don't go dead immediately. And not sure what
to sort on if I do run it.

Still puzzled about why asterisk does an address lookup, and why it
unregisters sip phones with a hard ip address if it fails.

sean

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?