[asterisk-users] Why asterisk down when inet server down?

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 12:59:17 CDT 2010

On 06/18/2010 01:42 PM, Zeeshan Zakaria wrote:
> Based on my somewhat similar experience a few times, when this happens,
> try to resolve an IP, to make sure there is a valid DNS server
> accessible to Asterisk. If not, either make asterisk a DNS as well, or
> remove any domain name entries from /etc/resolv file and replace them
> with the IP addresses of your DNS.
>
> Zeeshan A Zakaria
>
> --
> www.ilovetovoip.com <http://www.ilovetovoip.com>
>
>> On 2010-06-18 1:29 PM, "sean darcy" <seandarcy2 at gmail.com
>> <mailto:seandarcy2 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On 06/18/2010 12:57 PM, Tim Nelson wrote:
>> > ----- "sean darcy"<seandarcy2 at gmail.com
>>
>> Yes, it is a typo. The network is 10.10.10.0/255.255.255.0
>> <http://10.10.10.0/255.255.255.0>.
>>
>> sean

If the internet server is down, there can't be a valid DNS server
accessible to Asterisk. The asterisk server is a caching name server,
but obviously won't be able to resolve addresses not in its cache.

Asterisk clearly doesn't need to resolve addresses to connect calls
internally or over the T1. Is there any way to turn off its requirement
for a DNS server? Or at least not fail catastrophically?

sean