[asterisk-users] ring no answer / RONA versus HangUp

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 10:59:56 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Tilghman Lesher <tlesher at digium.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 June 2010 08:21:17 David Backeberg wrote:
>> I know if I do not do an Answer() that the call is not yet picked up.
>> However, if I do a HangUp(), is that functionally equivalent? Can you
>> Hangup() a channel you never Answer() ed?
>
> A Hangup just returns -1, which causes the dialplan to terminate.  So yes,
> you can Hangup() a call you never answered.

What I was really trying to determine was whether the calling side
would get the same behavior (rings, but no pickup) as if the dialplan
was simulating a phone where nobody was picking it up.

I ended up doing a:

exten => s,1,Wait(10)
exten => s,n,HangUp

essentially, which was good enough for me to simulate 5 seconds of
no-pickup, as perceived by the caller.

Thanks much.