[asterisk-users] Problem with dahdi and with freepbx

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Jun 16 03:51:24 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:28:48AM +0200, Claudio Prono wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> I use FreePBX version 2.7.0.2 with dahdi. The first problem is with
> dahdi: At the system startup i can't find a way to start correctly
> Asterisk with Dahdi.
>
> My boot configuration is the following:
>
> /etc/rc.d/after.local

Running it from there is the first sign of problems. You should have
used proper init scripts. E.g. the asterisk and dahdi ones.

This would have allowed you restarting some stuff without fully
rebooting the system.

> /usr/sbin/rcdahdi start &
>
> sleep 15

This is a great indication to the fact that 'sleep' is normally a bad
cure for races.

Why not just:

  /etc/init.d/dahdi start

(not in the background)

Please check the OpenSUSE packaging of Asterisk and DAHDI.

> /usr/local/sbin/amportal start &
>
> /sbin/route add -host 85.38.234.9 gw 192.168.2.1 &

Isn't there a better place for the network settings?

> /usr/bin/python /usr/local/bin/alice-client.py --enable-all &
>
> But, in this way, dahdi don't work with asterisk... I have to manually
> stop amportal, stop dahdi and then restart dahdi and amportal to have it
> to work. I don't figure why, seems a timing problem, but with the sleep
> 15 no resolution at all... Any Hint? My OS is OpenSuSE 11.2.

Please provide some useful output.

To quote one IRC bot:

Look buddy, "doesn't work" is a vague statement.  Does it sit on the
couch all day long?  Does it procrastinate doing the dishes?  Does it
beg on the street for change?  Please be specific!  Define 'it' and what
it isn't doing.  Give us more details so we can help you without needing
to ask basic questions like "what's the error message?".  Ask me about
<smart questions> and <errors>.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com