[asterisk-users] HDLC Bad FCS (8) on Primary D-channel

Olivier oza_4h07 at yahoo.fr
Fri Jun 11 07:27:51 CDT 2010

2010/6/11 Karsten Wemheuer <kwem at gmx.de>

> Hi,
>
> Am Freitag, den 11.06.2010, 11:54 +0100 schrieb Gareth Blades:
> > Olivier wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I've got a running system in which logs are full of messages such as:
> > > [Jun 10 07:24:14] NOTICE[2414] chan_dahdi.c: PRI got event: HDLC Bad
> FCS
> > > (8) on Primary D-channel of span 2
> > >
> > > The strange thing is those messages are coming from a single span.
> > >
> > > My setup is :
> > >
> > > Asterisk 1.6.1.18
> > > Junghanns OctoBRI
> > > with wcb4xxp driver
> > > libpri 1.4.10.2
> > > dahdi 2.3.0
> > > 3 BRI lines in PtMP mode
> > >

> > > What does this "PRI got event: HDLC Bad FCS (8) on Primary D-channel of
> > > span 2" roughly mean ?
> > > Why could it happen on a single port and not on the others ?
> > >
> > > Regards
> > Basically it means that one of the messages it received on the PRI D
> > channel failed the checksum.
> >
> > I take it that in your span command you have 'crc4' or similar specified
> > as an option for all of your spans?
> >
> > If thats the case its probably a faulty port on the card, cable, or a
> > card in the local telephone exchange,
>
> AFAIK CRC4 is for PRI only. The setup of Olivier is BRI in PTmP mode.
> Many providers drive Layer 1 down in case of inactivity. Maybe the
> driver has a problem with such lines.

Would that explain why only a single port is hit ?

This port is the 2nd and the dialing pattern is DAHDI/g1 which means "start
with channel 1 on span 1, then channel 2 on span 1, then channel 4 on span
2, ....".

What I observed is that provider sends incoming calls alternatively to each
span :
if an inbound call comes through span 2 (channel 4 or 5), then the provider
would send the next one to span 3 (channel 7 or 8) if available, etc ...

I'll try to swap cables and see if messages are "moving" from span 2 to
another span.