[asterisk-users] tuning software echo cancellation

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at sunfone.com
Thu Jun 10 11:49:39 CDT 2010

We have been distributing asterisk servers for several years now, and early on
decided that hardware echo can was the way to go.  Our first few boxes without
it had horrid echo problems, and attempts at tuning in 2006 didn't make any
difference.

We installed a new server yesterday at a client's location with a Rhino 4 port
FXO card (HW EC included), and when an inbound call was answered the oddest
shrieking sound was heard by the caller, and the internal SIP phone heard
nothing at all.  On a call with Rhino support they disabled the echo
cancellation module and all was well, though of course we have a horrible echo
problem now.

We are going through an RMA process with Rhino, which is fine (kudos for them
to cross ship - really good support team there).  But the client is of course
chomping at the bit to get the system live.

We are totally out of touch on the subject of software echo cancellation in
asterisk.  The system is running 1.4.28 and Dahdi 2.2.1-RC2.  I understand that
when Dahdi detects no HWEC, it enables SWEC by default. Is there anything I can
do to tweak the settings to try and make this liveable for the client until we
get the card?  The server is in the Caribbean, so it may actually be a bit
before the card arrives.  We would love to get them running before then, but it
is so bad right now that we cannot.

Thanks for any links to info...

Cheers,