[asterisk-users] NMI received for unknown reason

Wade Hampton wadehamptoniv at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 16:06:55 CDT 2010

G'day,

I am testing a new server with a Supermicro X7SBA motherboard
and TE405 cards.  When I load Dahdi and run dahdi_cfg I get
the following errors:

   kernel:  Uhhuh, NMI received for unknown reason b1 on CPU 0
                You probably have a hardware problem with your RAM chips
                Dazed and confused, but trying to continue

The reason codes I have seen are a0, a1, and b1.

The problem only occurs once and the system seems to work fine
after that.  If I cat /proc/interrupts, I only see 1 NMI and it is only
for CPU 0.

I also saw the same error with this computer when I tried
an older version of Zaptel.

I ran memtest86 overnight on the server and had 0 failures so I
doubt that the problem is RAM.

Computer:  Supermicro X7SBA, Intel E5300, 2xWD SATA, Bios 1.2a
                    XGI Tech video
O/S:            CentOS 5.4, 2.6.18-164 i386 SMP
                    most updates applied
Dahdi:        complete 2.3.0+2.3.0

I have tried options per the Digium page:  http://kb.digium.com/entry/64/
  nmi_watchdog=0
  pci=noacpi nmi_watchdog=0
  pci=norouteirq acpi=off pci=noacpi noapic vga=0x31a nmi_watchdog=0
<- would not boot

Any suggestions on what else I could try?

Also, on this same computer when using the Zaptel driver, I am getting
a lot of SIS errors from the wct4xxp driver:

   !!!SIS Waiting before cmd 08
   !!!SIS waited 1 loops

Thanks,
--