[asterisk-users] Deleting extension makes it usable?

Steve Murphy murf at parsetree.com
Tue Jun 8 09:56:15 CDT 2010

I hope I'm correct, I don't have time to verify every bit of this,
but....

The message

[Jun  7 17:04:16] NOTICE[7422] chan_sip.c: Failed to authenticate user
"asterisk" <sip:3799 at 206.205.124.247 <sip%3A3799 at 206.205.124.247>
>;tag=as23bacb61

indicates the user "asterisk". Do you have a sip account for "asterisk"?

Why it would take 14 seconds and an ANSWERED dial for an unathenticated
use is something to investigate!

As to the more general question of how 3799 could be unexpectedly matched
in the dialplan, I would respond that there are several possibilities...

One is, Is the account with the weak
pword removed from sip.conf? The 3799 account? Because, it looks like
SIP/206.20... (you abbreviated here in the CDR you listed) is where
the call is originating.

b. Did you *really* get rid of all 3799 occurrences in the dialplan? What
patterns
do you have in the dialplan that might match 3799, after the explicit 3799
is removed?
Any _XXXX type patterns included or in the context in question?

c. I uncovered a pattern matching bug, and reported it in bug
https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=17366
where unexpected patterns are matched. Sorry, I haven't had time to correct
it myself, it's probably
a simple 1-line fix, but oh, what it might take to figure out what the line
should say, and where it is!

d. "s" is the "start" extension, and an incoming call will tend to get
routed into an "s" extension.

You can quickly determine (b) or (c), by going to the CLI, and saying
"dialplan show 3799 at whatever-context and see what turns up.

murf

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 7:50 AM, J <jmaurer at 2ergo.com> wrote:

> I'm fairly new to FreePBX/Asterisk/Trixbox, but have Googled myself
> into submission here, so any assistance is appreciated.
>
> We had a user with a weak SIP secret recently that allowed it to be
> used by an outside user. The extension was 3799. I could see the
> intruder's calls (including the destination phone numbers) in the
> trixbox call report log. Because the extension was no longer used, I
> went ahead and deleted it, thinking that would solve the problem. I
> also discovered approximately the same time that the Asterisk Call
> Manager port was open to the outside world, which has since been
> closed. The web interface, ssh, etc. have never been exposed to the
> outside world. Since taking these actions, I restarted the asterisk
> server.
>
> Now, here's the issue. I don't think deleting the extension helped.
> Now I see entries like this in the reports log:
>
> Calldate  Channel Source Clid Dst Disposition Duration
> 1.      2010-06-07 16:47:38     SIP/206.20...   3799    "asterisk"
> <3799>       s       ANSWERED        00:14
>
> The "Dst" field being "s", where it used to be the phone number being
> dialed. How is this extension able to be used even after it has been
> deleted?
>
> Strangely, what I've done to keep the user out in the mean time is
> re-created the 3799 extension with a better secret. This results in
> log entries like the following:
>
> [Jun  7 17:04:16] NOTICE[7422] chan_sip.c: Failed to authenticate user
> "asterisk" <sip:3799 at 206.205.124.247 <sip%3A3799 at 206.205.124.247>
> >;tag=as23bacb61
>
> Why can sip:3799 connect and make calls when the extension doesn't
> exist? Is this person somehow using a "user" account? I've checked
> both /etc/asterisk and the MySQL tables and am not coming up with
> much. What does it mean that their destination is "s", not a phone
> number?
>
> Thanks for any assistance!
>
> --

Steve Murphy