[asterisk-users] how to get call duration

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Thu Jun 3 13:21:59 CDT 2010

Un-top-posting...

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Zeeshan Zakaria wrote:

> Its your personal opinion. Actually as a non-native-English speaker to
> me "Noop" sounds much better than "Verbose" which itself is a confusing
> word, plus I guess command "verbose" is new in 1.6, and I've never used
> it, so I'll stick with "Noop" which can be used with any version of
> asterisk.

Hmmm. "newp" sounds better than "verbose?" If you were a complete "noob,"
which one would you guess outputs cruft to the cli? How many applications
have a "--noop" command line parameter? If an application had a "--noop"
what would you guess it did?

Historically (at least as far back as I can remember), NO-OP is an
assembly language construct used as a "placeholder" and does "no
operation."

Verbose() (which existed at least as far back as 1.2 and thus works with
any version you are likely to run across) provides more functionality and
is more explicit. Try it -- the "next guy" will thank you.

I also fight windmills in my spare time :)

--
Thanks in advance,