[asterisk-users] How can conect Cisco Unified Communications Manager with Asterisk

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 09:19:31 CDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 7:22 AM, Nguyen Quang Tri <kihote.am at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i have Cisco Unified Communications Manager with 10 ip phone,i dont buy
> license IVR of Cisco Unified Communications Manager. Can i use feature IVR
> on Asterisk connect with Cisco Unified Communications Manager.

Yes, and no.

It depends on exactly how you plan to do this. You don't mention the
version of your Cisco Call Manager, and you don't mention how you plan
to integrate your IP phones. I'll assume Call Manager 7.x, and Cisco
IP phones that support a SIP firmware.

Your best way to do this:

* have your Cisco IP phones running a SIP load
* use SIP integration with asterisk
* depending on how you want to bounce calls between Cisco and
Asterisk, sometimes you should do a Transfer() rather than a Dial() to
get a call from Asterisk to Cisco. It's somewhat confusing, and I have
good ideas on why this is. Just trust me for now.
* don't expect miracles with regards to integration of fine detailed
information between Cisco and asterisk, with regard to information
picked off from the IVR

If your real goal is to have the same level of IVR detail from
asterisk you would get from an IVR built natively within Cisco, well,
sorry but that's either not possible, or a more difficult integration
job than I'm familiar with.

Cisco does support something called GED-125, which theoretically is an
API for sending Cisco details picked off in an IVR. I'm going to play
with it later in 2010. If somebody else is familiar with trying to do
that thing, please speak up.