[asterisk-users] Fail2ban - SuSEfirewall

Brent A. Torrenga lists at torrenga.com
Tue Jul 27 08:12:15 CDT 2010

> The problem sounds like fail2ban is failing to write the new rules to a

>permanent file, which would otherwise allow the rules to persist after a

>reboot.

Tilghman,

That is exactly right.  I'm thinking I need to revise the SuSEfirewall init
scripts to follow up with restarting fail2ban, but then I think fail2ban
will need to have a persistent jail after restarting, which I did find
online.

>I am a big fan of centralized management, so I prefer to do that rather
than have static IP addresses on the network (except of course where
absolutely essential).

>For the OP: maybe a workaround is to assign a fixed IP address from your
DHCP server and use a very long lease time?

John,

Agreed re management.  The lease would have to be real long, like a year or
so.  That would do the trick.