[asterisk-users] chan_skinny still maintained?

Dan Austin Dan_Austin at Phoenix.com
Mon Jul 26 17:50:38 CDT 2010

Jonathan wrote:
> I've managed to acquire a few Cisco handsets (7905, 7920)
> and would like to use them with Asterisk.

>  Rather than simply switching to the SIP firmware I thought
> I'd use these with chan_skinny - partly because this is
> Cisco's primary firmware and therefore the phones might be
> more stable, and partly to help test chan_skinny as it seems
> to be generally underused. (Is functionality identical across
> both firmwares?)

> However, I've come across a couple of showstoppers and am not
> really sure where to go from here. I've raised bugs for both
> of them (#17680, #17692) and had no response so far - have I
> perhaps overestimated how much chan_skinny is in use these days,
> or do I need to follow another route?

The problem in 17680 has been worked on a couple of times and I believe
the issue is not actually in chan_skinny, although it seems easiest to
trigger from that channel.

I had thought that the problem described in 17692 had also been put to
rest, but the more I think about it, I seem to remember a potential fix
was deferred pending a re-write of the subchannel handling code.

I'll dig around in my archives to see if I can find my old patches
for either of these.

> I'm not an Asterisk developer but am happy to spend some time this
> week resolving the problems. Unfortunately I need the phones next
> week, so may have to end up taking the defeatist approach of
> switching to the SIP firmware :(

Regardless of whether the fixes were available, there is no way they
would be reviewed, merged and released within the next week...

Dan